Do you want to stop feeling body pain? Benefits of a Good Posture.
Having a good posture is an asset in life. It’s important to develop correct postural awareness at an early age as your muscles lengthen or shorten as a result of good or bad posture. Bad posture contributes to back pain, shoulder pain, neck pain, knee problems and headaches. You can see posture affects a lot and it’s much easier to work on your posture than go through pain for your life.
Young people with bad posture will grow into elderly people that will struggle in life. The muscle groups of the body are like a pulley system and if one part is developed incorrectly, it affects the whole structure of the body. For a great posture start with the feet and develop core muscles. The pelvic floor and abdominal muscles for the body are like a support beam would be in holding up a ceiling in a building structure.
Here is a sequence to align your posture:
1. Stand upright with the feet and knuckles of the big toes together and the heels slightly apart.
2. Breathe in through the nose and look down at your feet (initially) and lift up your toes and spread them apart. Also now look up and gaze straight ahead. (This can be challenging initially as the feet aren’t use to this sort of movement). The balls of the feet and heels are on the floor.
3. Hold the breath for the count of 3 then exhale through the nose and connect the navel to the spine, lift the pelvic floor and bring the spread toes to the floor (notice the connection of the balls of the toes & heels on the floor.)
4. As you continue to align the posture, keep gazing straight ahead (or close your eyes for a meditative experience) and as you breath in through the nose slowly then holding the breath for the count of 3 and breathe out slowly through the nose focus on the tops of the feet, shins, knee caps, quadriceps muscles, engage your pelvic floor muscles and abdominals.
5. Then, keep focusing and from the abdominals take your awareness up to your shoulders then lift up the shoulders and roll them back and draw the finger tips gently to the floor, feel a long neck. Then bring your awareness to the front of the face to the top of the crown of the head.
6. Next regroup and make sure your feet are grounded your centre is engaged and get a sense of a silver thread lengthening your spine through to the top of the crown of your head to realign the posture. Next bring your awareness to the back of your skull, neck across the shoulders to the lower lumbar buttocks, back of the legs and down to the floor. And there you are aligned and ready to go.
This is good to do daily .Make sure your shoulders are relaxed, the core is always softy connected when you’re walking and sitting. If at a desk, it’s important to get up and move every 15 minutes. Check your shoulders are relaxed and core is connected. A pain free body and correct posture is a key point for a happy, healthy balanced life.
If you or you know of someone else who is in this cycle of stress of overthinking download a free copy of my book “How to be Calm under pressure: Advance your Career with Mindfulness”